Rock of ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ฎ Gibraltar

We sailed overnight and the moon was so beautiful, we kept our curtains opened and enjoyed the smooth ride.  As hard as I tried, I blew off the alarm to workout and slept in.  

I’m not going to lie, as I peered out the window to see one of the most famous rocks in the entire world, I looked at Bill and was like “this is it???”  From the ship ๐Ÿšข, it looks like one of the thousand mountain ranges we’ve seen.  Too late now.  It’s not like they are going to head to Cรกdiz early just because Maureen Vasquez doesn’t think the rock of Gibraltar is that impressive.  Spoiler ‼️ alert-the rock is very impressive; just not from a distance.  

Off we go to the e-bike store where we are accompanied by two other couples.  One is 82 and the rest in their 70’s.  What could possibly go wrong I ask? ๐Ÿ˜‚

They fit us for our ๐Ÿšด, helmet and a brief safety demonstration. We’re off!  We couldn’t have gone a 1/2 mile when we lose 2 women. The tour guide is a chubby Englishman who is nearly as funny as I am. You can tell he’s pissed as this ride wasn’t that hard but he does his best and makes a joke about them not listening.  Minutes later, the missing duo had been successfully located!  

Today was a special day here as one governor was leaving and another arriving.  The streets were closed and many gathered to see the change of power ceremony. 



More pics along our bike tour:




I was a bit confused ๐Ÿค” about the waterfall given the severe drought in this region.  Frankie, our guide, explained that Gibraltar started desalinating the ocean water when the dictator, Franco had cut off their water and electricity.  The waterfall represent the excess water not needed by residents for their water needs. I can’t imagine that they wouldn’t try to profit by this!!!  Why not sell to Madrid and Barcelona???  A missed opportunity in my humble opinion. 



Before we left for the tour, we were told that these monkeys ๐Ÿต were very, very aggressive that they you shouldn’t carry food of ANY kind; not even a breath mint because the monkey will rip your bag right off you to get to the food.  And, under no circumstances should you look them in the eye.  Makes you really want to visit the rock, doesn’t it?
We must have found a lazy ass monkey because not only was he disinterested in us, he was fat and lazy.  He never moved when everyone took pics.  I didn’t see him as He blended into the wall.  In my defense, I was biking uphill and was more focused on the road than I was the wall!!




Some couldn’t make it up the hill even with an electric bike.  Bless them doing the “walk of shame”.











Hello Africa!  You look lovely this fine morning.  I believe Africa is approx 8 nautical miles from Gibraltar!  I’d flunk any sort of geography exam.  I’m ashamed but it is what it is. Hell, when Bill was promoted and we moved to Charlotte, I thought we were close to the ocean. ๐Ÿคช



Bob and Ann, standing to the left of Bill, are married.  Ann went down first and a half hour later, Bob went down.  I was kind enough not to take a picture of their fall.  We worked to get them up and make sure they were ok.  However, had Bill or I fell, I would have captured that special moment. ๐Ÿ˜†











As I stated when I started this blog, I wanted to capture our memories electronically so I’d talk about the good, bad and ugly.  This isn’t ugly it’s more admitting that I’m weird.  Clearly, people came for “the rock” but I thought one of the coolest part of the day was the airport.  Yep, you read that right, the airport.  Let me explain. 
The airport crosses a major street.  When an airplane ✈️ is either taking off or ๐Ÿ›ฌ landing, a gate is lowered (picture one like a train crossing gates) a chain with spikes is sloppily placed on the road and the plane “owns the road” while bikers, motorists and pedestrians enjoy the show.  
We were lucky to witness a takeoff!






Once the plane takes off, the gate is lifted and we literally ride on the runway.  That my friends, is the coolest thing ever! Can you imagine the FAA’s reaction to this?


Back to the bike shop with the bikes in tact and all participants leaving with the body parts the came with, albeit, sore and a bruised ego. 

Off to see the town and grab a bite to eat.  There were a zillion American ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ shops and restaurants.  McDonald’s may be King in the states but Burger King rules in Europe. I hate to see this but it is what it is. 

The town and intricate streets were fun to explore but each old city blends into another after touring day after day!  

The inside of the buildings were as stunning as the outside.  This building was hosting an art exhibit.  Much to Bill’s relief, I did not buy a piece of art here. 






Endless walking left us famished.  Lunch did not disappoint!  Food was delish and people watching was entertaining as always. Not my best look but I had been on a bike all morning. Course, Bill always looks good!






We walked and walked to burn off some of this delicious.   After heading back to the boat ๐Ÿ›ฅ️, Bill took a little siesta and I headed for the gym to ๐Ÿ‹️‍♀️.  Kinda cool to workout as you look out over the Rock of Gibraltar!

Music trivia in the lounge.  Course we were 6 songs late ⏰ but it wouldnt have mattered. We only got 9 out of 14 correct.  The winners got 20 right-not sure how they did that but I was super impressed.  



Comments

  1. Going to have to research Rock of Gibraltar now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What say you?

Popular posts from this blog

The Sleep Worksheet

Shit's gettin' real

To Clean or Not to Clean...