Malaga

This morning was a super fun shit show to watch.  We boarded a huge coach bus so that we could climb a ridiculously winding road (did I mention NARROW) to reach the highest point in Malaga.  We us and the other 10k people from the large cruise ships had the same idea!  It was difficult for one bus to make its way up, let alone several busses.  Bus drivers yelling in Spanish and flailing their hands is quite the sight to see.  The views were worth the antics!

The round building is used for bullfighting. Not sure I could watch a bullfight but if you should happen to be in Spain on June 23, you could see the bloody action!



Once the bus driver was able to turn around, we headed to cooking school!
 





Before I forget the recipe, take a hard salami, slice it thin, then cut it into small pieces. In a small bowl of mayo and raisins, stir until the mayo turns a beautiful golden brown color, add a little molasses.  Take out the raisins and discard. Place the very small pieces of salami in the bowl.  Add garlic, lemon juice. Stir well.  Place a circular mold on a platter and scoop a small amount of the mixture in and pack it down.  Lift the mold and decorate with fresh chives.  It was delish. 


The next recipe blew me away.  Let me tell you “I HATE goat cheese.  Do you hear me? Hate Goat 🐐 Cheese”.  We took a hard goat cheese, a soft goat cheese, and a sharp cheddar cheese and diced them all very thin. We then gutted an artesian bread and filled it with the three cheeses mixed with mayo.  Can I tell you it was Devine?  I literally did not taste sharp barnyard taste of the goat cheese but rather and creamy yummy delight!  Kristen Butler, you may have actually liked cheese!










Most Spanish people are not heavy yet they celebrate each meal like it’s their last.  We were greeted with a Spanish martini; basically a drink of vermouth and orange peel. After we got the paella started, we had the local beer with potato chips and olives.  

As the baked cheese bread came out and the salami dish was served, we had beer and red wine. Paella was served with more beer and red wine .  If that didn’t fill you up, you had a dessert that they call crazy cake which is similar to a custard filed donut served with a sweet dessert wine. I passed on the dessert wine.

This truly was a a fabulous excursion;   The owner was a pistol.  She blared Spanish music as you worked preparing the three traditional dishes. Some obnoxious woman asked her to turn the music 🎶 down and she replied in Spanish “this is my kitchen.  I will play music”!  She was a badass and I loved her.  Alas, the lunch was complete and our fat asses rolled onto the bus and back to port.

We got off the bus before port to survey the town.   Feeling awful for eating all those calories, we stopped at the information booth to pick up a map. First stop, the botanical gardens.  Story has it that a very successful Malaga business man would travel and bring his wife back a new species of plant or tree.  She planted and tended these beauties and it’s enjoyed by tourists and townspeople alike.   These pictures don’t do this wonderful garden justice.  It was a work of genius and stunningly gorgeous.









Next, we headed for a close-up of the bullring!




ThWe took in many sights but we hadn’t worked off enough of the food and drink so I suggested (I’m an idiot!) that we 🧗 climb the stairs heading up to the highest point of Malaga (the same spot we went to this morning on bus).  By now it’s close to 80 degrees and up we go!  I had to stop a few times because I was huffing and puffing not to mention sweating 🥵 like I stole it.  Again, the effort was totally worth it!















We left the top and headed for the shopping area.  I “made” a perfume at one of the local shops and checked out the town square.  All of the ports have had just stunning architectural buildings, churches and general buildings. 
 Surprising things for us:
  • Smoking is alive and well in Spain 
  • They may eat late but not in the tourist sections and their meal at 10pm consists of salad or yogurt.  Main meal is Lunch.
  • Many people DO NOT speak English.  However, we know enough Spanish and they know enough English to get by. I was only surprised because we are in very touristy areas.  
The streets consisted of marble from Majis; overwhelmingly beautiful. 

We returned to the boat, for a pre dinner beverage.  Of course, I researched a drink that I asked the bartender to make.  He made a few and shared it with the patrons sitting around the bar.   Most people loved it so I asked that he name it in my honor when Windstar puts it permanently on the menu! Remember, Liquor 43 is made in Spain. 🇪🇸 
Here’s the recipe:


Dinner was meh but nothing can compare to our cooking school meal and I really wasn’t hungry!   

Beatles night in the bar.  We enjoyed a few songs but headed to our room to unwind and prep for our trip to Majis in the morning. 

Found this cutie in our room!











Comments

  1. Not sure about the cheese bread Mo, but make me some paella and you know I’m
    down to try your drink!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What say you?

Popular posts from this blog

The Sleep Worksheet

Shit's gettin' real

To Clean or Not to Clean...