Day 2

 We slept in a bit to recharge our internal batteries.  Headed downstairs to their “continental breakfast” only to find it’s more like a feast for a King.  The table included 3 types of meats, croissants, 3 types of bread, fresh fruit, cheese, freshly squeezed juice and the best coffee ever.  Americans do not know how to make coffee like this.  Bill ordered an Anericano and by most Americans standards would be too strong.  I ordered “strong” and it was the best jet ✈️ fuel I’d ever experienced.  

Apparently, this was just the first course.  The waitress asked what we’d like for breakfast.  I looked at her like she was nuts.  I told her I was stuffed and couldn’t possibly eat anymore.  She was astounded.  “Don’t you want some eggs, an omelet,  🍣 salmon?”  Not for I, thank you.  My love ordered eggs and yogurt with fruit.  I have no idea where he put it but we are very active on this trip so when in Madrid!



Stuffed and ready to roll, we headed out for a group tour of the Royal Palace.  I must say that as Americans, we tend to forget how young our country is.  The rich history and architecture is just mind boggling and stunningly beautiful.  The photo dump of the Royal Palace follows:





















Our evening consisted of another tapas tasting tour and a flamenco dancing show!  This was truly a fun and fantastic evening!  Our tour guide was a super educated millennial who was fun and engaging.  She made me miss my own super educated millennial! 

The food this night was nothing shy of amazing.  Nothing fancy but o so yummy!  First stop Meson Del Champinion!  We sat on tiny stools and enjoyed mushrooms 🍄‍🟫 stuffed with chorizo and lemon accompanied by crusty bread and traditional sangria.  No silver provided.  Instead, you take the mushroom by the two toothpicks spread them apart and put them in your mouth.  👄 super cool experience. 
 

We chatted about American politics, the difficulty of learning a new language and pronouns.  I can’t tell you what a delight our tour guide was!







We sadly had to move on to our next stop.  I honestly would have eaten another plate of mushrooms!

Next we headed to a quaint restaurant where the family has run it for over 100 years.  We had the most amazing shrimps that were sautéed in garlic, olive 🫒 oil and paprika.  The juice was sopped up with, what appears to be a local staple, crusty bread.  Yummy, yummy in my tummy!

Yesterday I took a picture is a building with a tiled wall.  Our guide navigated us to this gorgeous building for a flamenco show.  I loved the book “The Moon Sister” which described the history behind flamenco 💃 dancing but I had never been.  And, to
Say I was surprised to see a male dancer would be an understatement.  Again, we were seat in tiny chairs side by side the next table.  God help you if you needed to get up!  Our guide warmed up to stay away from the sangria because it was authentic so I chose a shitty white wine!  It didn’t matter because the show was just phenomenal.  I’m confident that there are far better performances but the music and the anger, strife of the dancers was mesmerizing.   

I’m trying my best to load a few videos but it’s giving me fits.  Time to move on!









Following the show, Bill wants to get a midnight snack.  Cool by me. We actually find a cool little restaurant near our hotel. It must’ve been an old hardware store because there were doors with hardware attached all over the restaurant.  Cool vibe.  What I keep forgetting about Europe is that these people are still eating at midnight. The place was mobbed but we wiggled our way in!






Buenos Nochos!  Tomorrow we’re off to Toledo!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sleep Worksheet

Shit's gettin' real

To Clean or Not to Clean...